Below are the most common questions you may have regarding your A-EEG. For more information you can always call us at 1-855-32-NEURO (6-3876)
WHAT IS AMBULATORY EEG?
- Non-invasive long duration (24-96 hours) EEG brain activity recordings in the patient’s home
- Recordings may include synchronized video recording
- Records the patient’s changing states (wakefulness, drowsiness, sleep)
- Records the patient’s activities (walking, talking, driving, eating)
- Records spells or events that occur in the environment in which the triggers typically occur
AMBULATORY EEG HELPS YOU TO:
- Differentially evaluate patient-reported episodes
- Validate and refine a diagnosis of epilepsy
- Monitor the severity of epilepsy
- Confirm the effectiveness of treatment
WHY SHOULD WE USE AMBULATORY EEG?
- Proper diagnosis and treatment of your symptoms
- 20-30% of patients with a diagnosis of medically refractory epilepsy seen in an epilepsy center may not have epilepsy at all (Hilfiker 2006)
- In a pediatric study that recorded 140 children’s typical spells, 76% of the children were determined to have non-epileptic events (Olson 2001)
- Identify whether a patient’s seizures are focal, generalized, or secondarily generalized. This has important implications for determining the appropriate treatment.
- Differential diagnosis of syncope, sleep related events, pseudoseizures (Waterhouse 2013)
AMBULATORY EEG MONITORING IN THE HOME
- Increases the likelihood of capturing patient spells when compared to routine EEGs of short duration.
- Allows the patient to complete the testing procedure in a comfortable, non-threatening environment
- Prevents the artificial, stressful environment of a hospital admission from eliminating patient triggers that occur only in the patient’s day-to-day environment
- Saves the patient a substantial amount of money compared to hospital admission
HOW WILL THE TEST FEEL?
- This test causes no discomfort or side effects. Although having electrodes pasted onto your skin may feel strange, the electrodes only record brain activity and do not produce any sensation.
WHEN WILL I KNOW THE RESULTS?
- The EEG results are usually completed within 5 to 7 business days. You will be contacted at that time and a copy will be sent to the referring physician.